Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I want some more guacamole.....PEAS!

So this post is for two of my faithful readers....Meredith and Kristy.
It is a recipe I KNOW they will like, if and when they give it a chance.

It's from my Forks over Knives cookbook - I've done a lot of recipes in here, and although they are MOSTLY vegan, I really do enjoy them.

So what is it?
It's Guacamole
! Guacamole? that's no big deal, but this is different, its guacamole without the avocados I KNOW!  
Travesty, right?  Kristy said (and I quote) "you cannot make peas taste like avocados just because they are green"  She's right, for once -- but in guacamole, the avocado flavor is so blended with all the mexican spices - the cumin and tomatoes and cilantro.  Peas work.  It's a delicious lowfat lifesaver!


Here's the recipe:  
2 lbs frozen green peas, thawed [and cooked]
1 teasp crushed garlic,
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 teasp ground cumin
1 tomato, chopped
4 green onions chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce
salt to taste.


Blend peas, garlic, lime juice & cumin in a food processor, transfer to a bowl,  stir in tomato, green onions, cilantro, hot sauce & salt to taste.  Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.

 Here is the finished product.

I do recommend using the "rest" time to allow the flavors to blend.  Sometimes I must admit, I add a little avocado (like a 1/2 of one) to get the texture a little creamier, like how I'm used to.

But you'll have a LOT of guacamole, with just 1/2 of an avocado!  And food cost wise, its pretty inexpensive....frozen peas are always in my fridge.


Here's one last pic of the guac on my chicken sandwich wrap last night.  It was delicious!



Enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. I have to try it for 2 reasons: One, it LOOKS like guac and two, it's low fat. Wait, I need more reasons: Three, It's green and healthy looking. Four, I get to add 1/2 of an avocado. Five: IT'S CHEAP! Eating healthy is ridiculously expensive....and SIX: I'll whack-a-mole your guac-a-mole publicly on my blog if I ever get it up and running. Oh god, did I spell that right? public then ly. I want to make sure it doesn't say pubic because that would be bad. Peas excuse me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM to the Yumville... I will be making this Saturday for a party. Thanks. Also I am curious of the spelt crackers. did they really turn out with a crack? i am a cracker snob and they must snap, and crack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division........
    ok,not really, but now that I have your attention. I made this recipe adapting it to my taste. We didn't have an avocado on hand so I added a bit of fat free sour cream=good call. I added extra to the above based on my taste as well. Also blend the peas until they are blended. I think I stopped to early as they still had texture. We like things abit spicy hot so I also added a fresh jalapeno from the garden. Delish.... on top of the hominy/black bean tacos! (yes, i said hominy) Thanks Sharon for a great substition to the $$$ fat ridden guac we are all use to.

    ReplyDelete