Saturday, July 14, 2012

But it SPELT good on my lips!


So lately I've been cooking with SPELT.  (Yes that's my cooktop, my pan AND my spatula.)  And don't worry if you don't know what SPELT is, I didn't either until recently.  I'm hooked on spelt.  I'm annoyed that my computer spell check always wants to change my Google Searches for SPELT recipes to SLEPT recipes. That's a whole different issue.  .

So back to spelt, it's near the regular flour in the market.  At Whole Foods they also sell it out of those bins....this is directly from the web.. 
Spelt is an ancient grain that has lately made a comeback in North America, even though it has been popular through the decades in many European countries. Spelt is a non-hybrid distant relative to present day wheat. Spelt's uniqueness is derived from its genetic makeup and nutrition profile. Spelt has high water solubility, so nutrients are easily absorbed by the body making it easy to digest. It is high in protein (significantly higher than wheat), higher in B complex vitamins, and spelt is high in both simple and complex carbohydrates. These complex carbohydrates are an important factor in blood clotting and stimulating the body's immune system. Spelt is a suberb fiber resource. Spelt's nutty flavor doesn't just taste good, it has so many other nutritional benefits that are amazingly good for you!
Ok so there, did you see it in the middle? I highlighted it in YELLOW!  Spelt is packed with nutrients AND it's easy to digest!  That's what I want out of my carbs.  I don't want this glug of junk inside me that my body basically doesn't know what to do with!  That's what a lot of processed food does to me.  (Picture the chain of command breakdown over doritos.  Wait, I digress.)   But basically, spelt looks exactly like flour. I use it in place of anything i'd normally use flour. Pizza dough, crackers, pancakes...I've even mostly left whole wheat flour, b/c if you were paying attention, SPELT is better.  SPELT is the bomb. 

So I use a spelt pancake recipe that I adapted from this blogger OH SHE GLOWS.  I don't really like cinnamon in my pancakes so I changed her recipe a little.  It's fabulous for two reasons.  It makes about 5 tiny pancakes (perfect for one person) and you can mix all the dry stuff the night before and just add the milk.  I don't like a big production in the two minutes I have before I have to fly out the door for work.  Nobody does!  By the way, her pictures are fabulous....way better than my DROID ones.


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup spelt flour
  • 1/2 t cinnamon  (I didn't use, you can decide)
  • tiny pinch sea salt
  • 1 t baking powder (I use aluminum-free)
  • 1/4 t protein powder (optional - but b/c i've been working out hard lately, i love this)
  • 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)

Directions: Mix all dry ingredients together the night before and place in container. In the morning, heat a skillet on medium while mixing the batter. Add the milk to dry ingredients and stir well. Spray the skillet with non stick oil and spoon the batter onto the skillet on med-low temperature. Flip pancakes when bubbles pop and cook other side.


Here's another spelt recipe that I've made probably 20 times-- Spelt crackers. I think this was even in the NY Times?  They are super easy and just change up the topping every once in a while.   Cracked pepper, cumin, celery seed, whatever.  Serve with a nice hummus or bean dip and your good to go!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment